To: Prof. Burnis Morris
From: Brittanee Barton
March 24, 2014
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Story Outline: Marshall University Foundation Inc.
Subject: I want to investigate the money raised by Marshall University Foundation. MUFi’s 990 claims the organization brought in almost $27 million through donations, grants and gifts in 2012, but only brought in $17 million and $7 million in the two years prior. I want to investigate how the university is generating so much more money and how it is being used.
Need: It is the university’s job to bring in money and fund infrastructure, scholarships and facility improvements. The quadrupling in funds from 2010 to 2012, however, is staggering. People with any stake in the university need to know how this money is being raised and from where (i.e. Applying for more grants, recruiting a greater number of donors, etc.).
Scope: In the past couple years, several buildings have been approved and constructed. I am sure those required an increase in funds. I want to look into what combination of grants, gifts, donations etc. allowed for these initiatives.
Methods: I have located the 990 and annual financial reports online, so I can use those for pure numerical figures. My next step is to do archival research on any articles or statements published regarding the construction of recent buildings. I then will need to do interviews at MUFi.
Sources: I need to look at local papers and media outlets (WSAZ, WOWK, Herald-Dispatch), as well as any releases from the university. Then, I would like to talk to the CEO, CFO and any special chairs of fundraising.
Presentation: My report will be submitted via email by April 29. It will also be posted on my blog. The article could possibly be featured in the Parthenon.
Follow-up: With classmates writing stories on other beats in the area, it could run as part of a series.
No comments:
Post a Comment