Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Assignment #2 - Column Analysis

After reading and comparing the make-up of two completely different columns in terms of subject, I have learned quite a bit about stylized column writing. I chose a New York Times piece by Claudia Hammond about news memories and an Ohio State football piece for the Columbus Dispatch by Rob Oller. As I hail from the Columbus area, I have read numerous Dispatch columns. I began by assessing the openings. I noticed that both columns began with an identification element. The authors wanted to quickly connect with the readers. By using language such as "We now know..." and referencing large news events with which everyone is familiar, it draws the reader closer to the column. The authors hope the readers feel a significant tie to what they are about to read. Secondly, somewhere in the first two paragraphs, the author asks questions of the reader. Whether they are written traditionally with question marks at the end or phrased as a pondering statement, the reader's curiosity is hopefully peaked. This is meant to "hook" the reader.

Next, I looked at each column for information that falls outside of mere author opinion. Hammond sites a couple experts in the fields of psychology and memory. This brings some more credibility, as it references tests they have done or research they have conducted. Oller is writing a sports column about quarterback Braxton Miller, so he employs statistics to strengthen his claims about Miller. No specific sources are referenced, so I assume statistics are just cited as general knowledge or facts that are simple to find on your own. Regardless of the type of information, however, actual quotations were used minimally, if at all. I figure this might be so the tone is kept light and conversational.

As I approached the ending of each of the columns, I made note of a couple tidbits. First, the author made a few straightforward opinion statements. For example, "I applaud his decision to stay"is a strong assertion, very opposite from the way a news article reads. The author may also offer personal stories to illustrate how what they are writing is applicable to their own lives. Both articles also make abundant use of the word "we," uniting the author and the reader. The readers are given a sense of ownership over the content. Finally, both pieces either end with questions or challenges aimed at the reader. How will this play out? What will you remember most strongly? This keeps the wheels turning in the reader's head.

OVERALL CONCLUSION - AUDIENCE INVOLVEMENT IS KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment