Thursday, January 23, 2014

State of the Union column proposal

MEMORANDUM

TO: Prof. Morris
FROM: Brittanee Barton
RE: State of the Union prediction column
Date: January 23, 2014

Subject: I am going to make a prediction on one of the major issues I believe President Obama will cover in his annual State of the Union address. The address will be on the evening of January 28, 2014, so my column will be printed the preceding evening.
Need: People, especially college students, often disregard the need to be informed of and involved with the President's State of the Union address. I believe my column will investigate an aspect of the address that concerns the majority of college students.
Scope: I am predicting President Obama's specific mentions of minimum wage laws. There has been much talk of raising these wages and that it is supposedly supported by both parties. I am going to examine what he might say and what effects this may have.
Methods: I have done archival research relating to the history of the State of the Union and the history of federal minimum wage. I am in the process of using the internet to find more recent news about the President's current thought process and tactics related to raising minimum wage.
Sources: My background information is a product of the United States' House of Representatives website. I am reading articles from the New York Times, Newser, and the National Journal to become better educated about what he will likely say in relation to minimum wage.
Presentation: My column will be posted on my blog. There probably will not be any pictures or graphics, but there is a chance a related graph could be printed.
Follow-up: I will tweet during and after the State of the Union to evaluate what Obama said in comparison to my predictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment