1. The investigative piece I chose is a product of WBNS 10tv in Columbus, Ohio.
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/11/25/reading-test-results-3rd-graders.html
This story is one of several in an investigation of the Ohio third grade reading test. The test debuted in the 2012-2013 school year and is causing quite the controversy, as students who made A grades in school were failing the test. It is interesting to me because I interned at this station over the summer and we ran several pieces then. There will be more follow-ups to come. I also found it interesting because my mom and dad are both educators and I have heard about standardized tests forever. My dad's school district is actually mentioned in the story. It holds a public interest because student's who do not pass the test in either October or March will not be allowed to move on to fourth grade.
2. The investigative story I am proposing studies the lack of a baseball field on Marshall University's campus. I have read in newspaper articles and heard from baseball players themselves that Marshall has been promising an on-campus field on all their recruiting pitches. Players have came and left without even seeing a plan for a stadium. The argument has been lack of land space in town, but Marshall just knocked down Veterans' Memorial Field House so the Hoops Memorial Soccer Complex could be built. I understand the original soccer field was destroyed due to the indoor sports complex, but what caused a soccer stadium to be built a mile from campus while baseball normally plays in Charleston, over 45 miles away?
No comments:
Post a Comment